With lengthy school closures, stay-at-home orders, and online classes due to COVID-19, there has been an increase in children’s weight. This gain could increase the risk of adult obesity and issues such as diabetes and heart disease. Additionally, exercise is essential for kids during the pandemic as it reduces stress and boosts the immune system. Parents can safely promote physical activity by making exercise a family activity, with the following:
- Encourage your child to be active outdoors. Even ten minutes of exercise outside quickly adds up to a workout.
- Household chores burn calories while giving your children a sense of control and accomplishment.
- Utilize online exercise videos that provide virtual fitness content for kids.
- Family walks, bike rides, dance parties, living-room yoga sessions, or backyard soccer games are fun and safe activities.
- Many local fitness studios or trainers are offering online fitness sessions or may host a private virtual “gym class” or specific sport training session for young athletes.
- Set an age-appropriate goals, like a set number of neighborhood walks, bike rides or push-ups per week to motivate exercise.
Remember, even while practicing social distancing, children can participate in many safe activities. The CDC recommends for preschool-aged children (ages 3 to 5 years) have regular periods of activity throughout the day and school-aged children (ages 6 to 18) should average of at least 60 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity a day throughout the week. Regular exercise plus a healthy diet will help children stay fit during the COVID-19 pandemic and create the habits for a lifetime of good health.
Heaven’s Elect Christian Learning Center and Daycare is a Non-denominational Christian childcare center fully licensed by the state of Michigan. Our Midland daycare center has been serving the community since 2000. Please contact us at heavenselect.com.